BA (IntStud), LLB
Legal secretary: Wendy Exon
+61 3 8600 8884
Liam is a member of KCL Law’s Construction and Infrastructure team. His practice focus includes acting for tier 1 and 2 commercial contractors (nationally), and advising on all aspects of the project lifecycle, including contract management and disputes related to claims and responses under Victoria’s Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act (and equivalents in NSW, Qld and NT).
Liam’s approach to his practice is practical and commercial, combining an emphasis on early settlement of disputes (where possible) and formulation of dynamic litigation strategy to achieve positive outcomes for clients and secure their position on costs.
Prior to joining the firm in May 2018, Liam worked in a building and construction practice for a national law firm where he acted for builders, contractors, developers and owners corporations in disputes under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act, defective and incomplete works, delays, extensions of time, latent conditions and acceleration of works under contract. During this time, he regularly appeared in both contested and uncontested interlocutory applications, directions hearings, compulsory conferences (VCAT), pre-hearing conferences and mediation (Magistrates' Court of Victoria).
Admitted to practice in October 2014, Liam has a Bachelor of Arts (International Studies) and a Bachelor of Laws from Deakin University. Liam joined KCL Law as Associate in May 2018 and was appointed Senior Associate in January 2020.
Liam is a member of the Victorian Institute of Law, Society of Construction Law Australia, Property Council of Australia ― Victoria Division and Melbourne Cricket Club.
Areas of practice
- Review of AS, ABIC and HIA contracts for ‘design and construct’, ‘construct only’ and construction management
- Contract management, including issue of, and response to, notices under contract
- Dispute negotiation and avoidance
- Claims and responses under security of payment legislation (Vic, NSW, Qld and NT)
- Disputes under contract and at law as to:
- performance of, and payment for, works; and
- delays, extensions of time, latent conditions and acceleration of works.
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Society of Construction Law Australia
- Property Council of Australia — Victoria Division
Admitted to practice
- October 2014 — Supreme Court of Victoria