BSc (Chem), LLB
Legal secretary: Wendy Exon
+61 3 8600 8851
A member of the Construction and Infrastructure team, Dominic acts for developers, head contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, suppliers and owners in both ‘front end’ and ‘back end’ construction and infrastructure matters, including all aspects contract management and disputes.
Dominic has experience acting for both claimants and respondents in adjudications made under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002 (Vic), including jurisdictional appeals to the Supreme Court of Victoria, and adjudications in New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland under the respective state legislation. He has also acted for clients in all Victorian Courts and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) in a variety of complex construction and geotechnical engineering matters, in Building Appeals Board matters and in relation to complaints made against construction professionals to the Victorian Building Authority.
Prior to joining KCL Law, Dominic worked as a lawyer for a boutique construction law firm where he acted for developers, builders, contractors, owners, real estate agents and owners corporations. During this time, Dominic frequently appeared as the instructing solicitor in the County Court of Victoria and in the Supreme Court of Victoria and has also appeared in mediations in VCAT.
Dominic has also volunteered as a paralegal and lawyer at number of community legal centres where he acted on disputes and Australian Consumer Law matters. He is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria, Society of Construction Law Australia, Housing Industry Association and Property Council of Australia ― Victoria Division.
Dominic was admitted to practice in December 2016, after completing a Bachelor of Science where he majored in Chemistry and a Bachelor of Laws from La Trobe University. Having joined KCL Law in November 2018, Dominic was promoted to Associate in January 2020.
In 2021, Dominic was a 'finalist' in the Lawyers Weekly 30 Under 30 Awards for Construction and Infrastructure. Identifying the finest young lawyers across Australia, the Lawyers Weekly 30 Under 30 Awards provides industry-wide recognition for professional competency while highlighting a passion for the law and dedication for personal advancement.
Areas of practice
- Drafting, reviewing and advising on a variety of construction contracts, including AS, bespoke and HIA contracts for ‘design and construct’, ‘construct only’, supply, construction management and builder’s
- Contract management, including issue of and response to notices under contract
- Dispute negotiation and risk allocation
- Advising on how to best utilise security of payment legislation (in all Australian state and territories)
- Pre-litigation advice
- Claims and responses under security of payment legislation (in all Australian state and territories)
- Disputes under contract and at law relating to performance of and payment for works, delays, extension of time, latent conditions and acceleration of works
- Supreme Court, County Court and Magistrates’ Court (commercial, construction and infrastructure disputes)
- VCAT (domestic building)
- Arbitrations (commercial, construction and infrastructure disputes)
- Appearances (directions, applications, mediations/compulsory conference, instructing solicitor)
- Negotiating and preparing settlement agreements, including guarantees and indemnity
- Briefing and instructing Counsel and experts
- Creditor’s Statutory Demands and Bankruptcy Notices
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Society of Construction Law Australia
- Housing Industry Association
- Property Council of Australia — Victoria Division
Admitted to practice
- December 2016 — Supreme Court of Victoria