Legal secretary: Belinda Buchanan
+61 3 8600 8848
Deborah is an experienced lawyer and specialist in our Owners Corporation team. She has a deep understanding of the owners corporation industry and works closely with clients to achieve the best possible outcomes in a timely manner.
Deborah regularly appears in VCAT at hearings, mediations and compulsory conferences in relation to a range of owners corporation issues, disputes and debt recovery.
She also regularly liaises with owners corporation managers, committee members, surveyors, Courts and ASIC on owners corporation issues, including owners corporation rules, license of common property, postal ballots, property defect disputes and enforcement of VCAT orders.
Prior to joining KCL Law, she worked for a range of Melbourne law firms in the areas of owners corporation and personal injury.
Deborah was admitted to practice in 2010, after completing her Bachelor of Laws at Victoria University. She also has a Bachelor of Legal Studies from La Trobe University. Having joined KCL Law in July 2016, Deborah was promoted to Associate in August 2018.
In addition to the Law Institute of Victoria, Deborah is a member of the Strata Community Association and Property Council of Australia — Victoria Division.
Areas of practice
- Compliance and governance
- Complaints, dispute resolution and litigation
- Common property defects, repairs and maintenance, and water ingress
- Debt recovery
- Leasing and licensing
- Owners Corporation Act
- Owners corporation rules
- Owners corporation meetings
- VCAT hearings and mediation
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Strata Community Association
- Property Council of Australia — Victoria Division
Admitted to practice
- February 2011 — Supreme Court of Victoria