BEc, LLB | Accredited Mediator
Legal secretary: Belinda Buchanan
+61 3 8600 8833
Throughout his career, Anton has focused on litigation and dispute resolution in respect of commercial transactions, negligence, trespass, leases (both commercial and retail), property contracts, trade practice issues, owners corporations, restrictive covenants, environmental issues, adverse possession, nuisance, building disputes and insolvency matters.
Anton's approach to litigation is entirely outcome focused in that he works with the client to identify the objective of engaging in the litigation (either as plaintiff or defendant), to agree on a strategy to achieve that objective and then to implement that strategy. His approach is to be a problem-solver and to help clients find the solutions to their problems.
Anton's level of skill is well recognised as is demonstrated by the fact that he has acted for household names including Knight Frank, DTZ Real Estate, United Petroleum, VicTrack, ANZ and Westpac.
Further, Anton's focus on being a problem solver is enhanced by his accreditation as a mediator with LEADR (Lawyers Engaged in Alternative Dispute Resolution) and regularly acting in mediations as both an advocate and as a mediator.
Anton also has wide ranging experience in insolvency matters. He has acted for liquidators, receivers, administrators, trustees in bankruptcy and creditors giving him a high level of knowledge of all critical issues for prosecuting and defending insolvency claims including voidable transactions, preference claims, insolvent trading, bankruptcy claims and enforcement of securities.
Anton has practised in insolvency matters for in excess of 10 years and has appeared in all relevant State and Federal Courts.
While a key member of the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice, Anton also heads the Owners Corporation and Family Law practices. In addition to the Law Institute of Victoria, Anton is an Associate of the Strata Community Association – Victorian Division and member of the Property Council of Australia – Victorian Division.
Areas of practice
- Bankruptcy and insolvency
- Building and construction
- Commercial lease actions
- Common law
- Contractual claims
- Debt recovery
- Franchises and licences
- Guarantees and indemnities
- Negligence actions
- Partnership disputes
- Partnership and joint ventures
- Real estate litigation
- Small business
- Trade practices
- Strategic and relevant advice on drafting and implementing dispute resolution methods in owners corporation rules
- Advises on interpretation and application of the Owners Corporation Act to disputes
- Appears at VCAT on hearings and mediation
- Regularly attends owners corporation meetings to provide 'on-the-go' advice
- Drafts pleadings for VCAT hearings
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Strata Community Association
- Property Council of Australia — Victoria Division
Admitted to practice
- 1996 — Supreme Court of Victoria