Legal secretary: Wendy Exon
+61 3 8600 0701
William is a member of KCL Law’s Construction and Infrastructure team. His practice includes advising builders, head contractors, principals, developers, consultants (architects, engineers and construction managers), superintendents, suppliers and subcontractors, at all levels of the construction industry. Adept at both front and back-end construction and infrastructure matters, including all aspects of contract management and disputes, William explores all available legal options to achieve best possible outcomes for clients.
Prior to joining the firm, William worked in-house for a global infrastructure and renewable energy company providing both front and back-end advice and contract support, which included reviewing, drafting and advising on contracts, contract administration and risk mitigation. He also worked in-house for a management consultancy company reviewing, drafting and negotiating construction contracts and advising a team of construction consultants on a variety of issues concerning construction law such as, but not limited to, the Security of Payment Act, Building Code of Australia requirements, occupational health and safety laws, various aspects of commercial law, insolvency law and dispute resolution requirements. William has also been employed as a project manager on commercial developments, organising and managing construction projects from tender stage through to project completion.
In addition, William is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria, Society of Construction Law, Housing Industry Association, Property Council of Australia ― Victoria Division.
William was admitted to practice in December 2017, following completion of a Bachelor of Laws from Victoria University.
Areas of practice
- Drafting, reviewing and advising on AS, MBAV, HIA and bespoke contracts for ‘design and construct’, ‘engineering procurement and construction’ (EPC), alliance contracting, ‘early contractor involvement’ (ECI), ‘construct only’ and construction management and builders’ side deeds
- Contract administration and management, including issue of and response to notices under contract and submissions for final payment claims
- Risk mitigation and dispute negotiation
- Pre-litigation advice
- Claims and responses under Security of Payment Legislation (Vic)
- Disputes under contract and at law, including in relation to performance of and payment for works, delays, extension of time, defects, latent conditions and acceleration of works
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Society of Construction Law Australia
- Housing Industry Association
- Property Council of Australia — Victoria Division
Admitted to practice
- 2017 — Supreme Court of Victoria